This Sonoma County hilltop house, originally built by two brothers in the 1940’s, was transformed from its original modest structure into a spacious, modern yet inviting retreat.
JTA’s design included reconfiguring the small, separated rooms into large interconnected spaces, with a better flow and a logical progression along with new windows to capture the incredible views. A second floor addition increased the size of the house, to create a sunlit master suite overlooking the Russian River landscape.
The owners wanted to preserve the best features of the original building, and JTA’s design focused on reusing the original materials in a modern way, incorporating texture and organic elements into all the spaces. The knotty pine panels were planed and then used as new awnings at the front door, back door and the western facing terrace overlooking the pool. Redwood sheathing now adorns the dining room ceiling, cabinetry and sliding doors throughout.
PHOTOGRAPHY- David Duncan Livingston